Toxic Plastics 3, 6 and 7 Straight to Heaven
Did you know there is a rating system for plastics. 3, 6 and 7 are considered toxic plastics? Plastics are rated on a scale of one to seven and you can find the rating for plastics usually on the bottom of the bottle or container.
The number you are looking for is inside the little triangle with arrows. For example, this water bottle is the number 1 which indicates the type of plastic it is. It also has the letters PETE which is the acronym for the type of plastic that this.
The reason this is important is that the different types of plastics, one through seven, need to be recycled by themselves. In order to create a product that is the same as this product. If you mix plastics together, it becomes a weaker plastic so it’s not as useful now.
How long does it take for plastic to decompose in a landfill? Some items 1000 years. Plastic bags take 450 year or more. That means a lot of plastics are leeching into our water system.
How many plastic water bottles consumed in a day? 1500 plastic water bottles are consumed per second. More than 60 million plastic bottles end up in landfills every day.
How many plastics produced per year? 260 million tons of plastic the world produces each year, about 10 percent ends up in the Ocean and are ingested by the fish. Then you eat fish and you are getting plastics into your system.
A Good Rule of Thumb
A good rule of think when thinking about what plastics are more or less toxic is 12:45 stay alive and three, six and seven straight to heaven. Why is that?
One, two, four and five are generally safer as long as it is not heated in microwaves, left in the car or sun. Plastic three, six and seven. Now one thing I want to say is that even though you have that rule of thumb. Water Bottles do you know where they were stored before ending up on the shelves?
Toxic Plastic #3 Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) –
PVC is a hormone disruption: It causes reproductive disorders, sterilization, cancers, liver disfunction, birth defects, genetic changes, chronic bronchitis, ulcers, skin diseases, deafness, vision failure, indigestion.
Have you ever noticed movies made in the 60’s and 70’s the people are more thinner and don’t have large stomachs?
Where is this plastic found? is normally found in many children’s toys, fashion accessories, shower curtains, detergents and spray bottles, sports bottles, Clingy wrap over our foods. We should not ever have plastic touching our food.
# 6 Toxic Plastics (polystyrene) – It leaches styrene:
Plastic #6 – Causes: neurotoxin and carcinogen (that causes cancer – leukemia, lymphoma) a hormone disruption, causes infertility and chronic functional impairment of the nervous system. Harmful affects on your red blood cells, liver, kidney and stomach organs.
Found in: Disposable Styrofoam plates and cups, meat trays, egg cartons, carry-out containers, and some plastic cutlery. Also, plastics used for our cosmetics, medicines, etc. Extremely toxic when heated. How many drink coffee out of Styrofoam cups?
# 7 Toxic Plastics – chemical polycarbonate that leaches BPA:
- Cancers – breast and prostate,
- Heart – Coronary artery heart disease, angina, heart attacks, hypertension, etc.
- Obesity in the middle, Diabetes – insulin resistence, ADHD,
- Hormones: Intimidates the body’s hormones throwing your hormones off – men develop breasts, gender confusion – it changes the sex of a frog and some fish
- Early puberty and ovulation to lead to infertility,
- Causes breasts in men, and ereculation problems,
- DNA Modification that could effect social behavior and anxiety after birth, and
- Other: Asthma, ADHD
Found in: Baby bottles, three- and five-gallon water bottles, certain food container, coffee cup lids, etc.
Statistics show that children born after 2011 will not live longer than their parents. Could plastics be one of the contributing factors?
What Can You Do?
Avoid all plastics as much as possible.
- Avoid buying items packaged in plastics.
- Use cloth or paper shopping bags.
- Skip bottled water. Drink out of glass or metal container. – you don’t know where water was stored before put on the shelves in the store.
- Bring reusable mug when you order coffee.
- Say No straw please.
- Avoid disposable tableware.
- Use glass, porcelain, or stainless steel cups or bottles
- Do not warm food in plastic containers.
- If you have to drink from a water bottle. don’t leave it in the car. Heat causes all plastics to leach. Have you ever noticed when you did, the taste was different?
- Avoid Can Food – Can food also have plastic BPA linings. There are eight companies that have BPA free linings.
Benefits of Eliminating Plastics
Eliminating Plastics – SLIDE
- Lower your risk of Cancer.
- Better Health.
- Get your hormones back in order.
- Financial Benefits.
- Help the earth.
- Save marine animals..
Lets move to have a cleaner and safer earth for all life.